I never mention the Psalms or Proverbs - don't even put them in the title. They're too short, they're just prayers - to be honest, I kind of just skim through them.
But today, the Psalms start with talking about God's compassion and love. Then, it goes on to say how sinful he is and how many things he has done wrong.
But, it starts with the love and compassion of God.
I think I get that wrong sometimes (ok, most of the time). I start with how unproductive I am or the bad thoughts I have. I lead with all I've done wrong, and then ask God to forgive me. I feel like that leads to shame and guilt because I am focusing on my wrongdoings.
But, what if I started like David does? What if I focused on the love and compassion of God and then mention that I've messed up? It seems like that would lead to more gratefulness. It seems like resisting temptation would not be such a struggle because it would come from a place of thankfulness instead of using my will to not mess up.
Thanks Psalms!
No comments:
Post a Comment