Wednesday, February 25, 2026

LEVITICUS 13, MARK 6

 Even though I found it extremely interesting how much time Mark spent on the beheading of John the Baptist even though he does not spend more than one paragraph on anything Jesus does, I want to talk about prayer.

Every day, before I start reading the Bible, I pray the Lord's prayer.  When the disciples asked Jesus how to pray, that's what You said, so I figure that's a good way to do it.  And really, I guess You knew what You were talking about because it really does cover everything.....FOR EVERYONE!

Today, I stopped when I finished "on earth as it is in heaven" and said the names of people I really care about.  Then, I noticed how many times I used "us" and "our" the rest of the way.  There's no need to mention specific people - this prayer is for all of us!  At no point does the Our Father focus on me - the whole thing is us!  Love that!

Now, I am reading Francis Chan's book and he said yesterday that he would ask every pastor if they are praying an hour a day, and if they weren't, he would find another pastor.  One, shouldn't they be praying 24 hours a day (or at least as long as they are awake)?  It seems like that's what they Bible says.  That's kind of why I like to walk everywhere - it helps me to focus on God's presence.  And I hope when pastor's (and I should do this too) are talking to people they have one ear to God.  

But, here's my other thought - isn't the Our Father enough?  What else do we need to pray for?  That covers everything.....FOR EVERYONE!  Do we really have to sit in a chair for an hour?

Those are just my thoughts - what do you think?  (I know no one reads this, but it just sounded like the right thing to say!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

1 Chronicles 12-14, Romans 1

​“but even the closest friends of the poor person deserts them.” Is that true?  I think it’s been my experience that the poor are much bette...