Friday, February 6, 2026

EXODUS 17-19, MATTHEW 22-23

 I like it when you read something in the Old Testament and then there's a direct reference to the New Testament.  Today it was the Moses Seat.  

After the whole frogs, gnats, river drowning the Egyptian thing, Moses sits on a throne where everyone comes to bring their questions and disputes.  He is judge over everything.  He is a self-proclaimed interpreter of God's will.  That tradition must have gone on until Jesus' time because he says to do what the Pharisees say because they are in his seat.  The key word there is "they."

Here's the problem.  Even Jethro, thousands and thousands of years ago, realized this was not a good idea.  He suggested that Moses lets the people that are just standing around doing nothing, let them make some of the decisions.  So, he does.  

It is never good to have one person in charge of everything.  In the U.S. we call that checks and balances (probably other places too!).  But, whenever one person makes all the decisions, not only is it an enormous task for them, but there will inevitably be mistakes made - no one is perfect.

This is not a political rant.  This is more of a reminder to myself.  I love to be in the Moses seat and to make decisions for everyone.  But, I think I should listen to Jethro.  Let others take care of some of the stuff.  Get input from groups of people.  Make sure that it's not just my way or the highway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

1 Chronicles 12-14, Romans 1

​“but even the closest friends of the poor person deserts them.” Is that true?  I think it’s been my experience that the poor are much bette...