When Jesus' followers saw what was going to happen, they said, "Lord, should we strike with our swords?" - Luke 22:49
I get it. Jesus had just said to bring swords from now on. The disciples said they had two, and You said that would be enough. But, it sounds so weird. Should we strike with our swords?
That was never Your way. That is the world's way. Something bad is going to happen - use force to defeat it. The only option is violence. But, You gave up Your life to save us. You said to turn the other cheek. You said to forgive.
Of all the things I love (and hate) about following You, this may be on the top of the list. It makes so much sense to me. Being an example of what you want to see in the world - genius. Finding alternate ways than destroying and killing - genius. Having such faith that we don't have to carry out the justice we think is deserved - genius. But, there are times when I'd just like to hurt someone, or "make them pay", or strike with my sword.
But, I never have. OK, maybe I have mentally or with words. Actually, originally, I was going to write that I never have because it seems weird. But, now that I think about it, I do this way more often than I think - which is even more weird.......and sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment